June 02, 2005

little things

i've been collecting a list of the little differences i've noticed about life in iraq.
-the 'don't litter' symbol on iraqi soda cans features a person in a robe throwing something away, instead of the little figure with pants on.
-due to the 10MPH speed limit, there are no dead bugs on any windshields or mirrors. the bugs just move out of the way.
-no kids anywhere. not one.
-armed forces network, the only tv and radio broadcaster here, doesn't use commercial advertisements. all the commercials are public service things, like 'don't gamble' and 'encourage brain development in your infant'. in a way it's nice, but sometimes i get sick of being treated like a 6-year-old.
-no one comes in to work hung over.
-oh yeah, the mortar attacks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ben:

I’m glad I found your blog – very interesting Ben. I enjoy reading your thoughts. You paint a great mental image and do have a way with the pen (keyboard). Interesting – the differences you’ve noted.

I hope you will keep writing and updating us back at home. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I recently found out that Pat is in your unit and that you were both deployed at the same time. I am glad he is there with you. He is a dependable and trustworthy person and can be counted on in a pinch. He is Brenda’s sister’s husband. My brother inlaw. I told him about you and he said he is familiar with you. I hope you will take the chance to visit with him.

Your writing reminds me of parts of my service. Although I somehow avoided serving time during any conflicts, I have memories ranging from the weaponry, the smell of stale canvas and wool, helmet hairdos, and a host of other familiar experiences. None of the mortars though. I’m sure this is a memory with intense emotion.

A quote I believe in – “If a man listens to the faintest, yet constant, suggestion of his own personal genius – which is certainly true – he sees not to what extremes or even insanity it may lead him – and yet that way his road lies. In this way - The least assured objection that one healthy man extends will at last prevail over the customs and arguments of mankind”. Henry David Thoreau

I am proud of your commitment Ben. I’ll write more soon.

Mike Turner

6:41 PM, June 02, 2005  
Blogger Mollenkamp said...

Hey Ben, thanks for all you are doing--it matters to us here, even if we forget to say it sometimes.

4:10 PM, June 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home