May 22, 2005

sorry i took so long

it's been a while since i've had anything to write about. i think i've already mentioned how little actually happens around here. it's a little weird; all i see are jets and humvees and machine guns, but nothing actually interesting or new happens. i suppose that's a good thing. our tools and benchstock have finally arrived, so that when we are (not) busy (not) fixing things, we'll have everything we (don't) need to (not) do the job. bitter sarcasm? how unpatriotic!

i sleep as much as i can. the time is just flying by. this place feels like my home now. it sounds weird, but after about a week, my mind just starts treating wherever i am as all it knows. i have a lot of company here, and i've actually been happier/busier than i was at home. my days are like watching a boring war movie; a lot of sitting around watching AFN and you never actually see the explosions, and no one dies. think "apocalypse now: administrative offices" and you'll get an idea. or m.a.s.h. filmed with the actors' stand-ins instead of alan alda.

look: i have a lot of time on my hands. if there's anything anyone wants a picture of, or a picture of me next to, or maybe even ironic messages scrawled on a bomb for you, please ask.

i just tried to do a google search, and the military's websense censoring program blocked it because it fell into the category "tasteless". tasteless like their food! ha! ha! bad joke. sand has this effect on my sense of humor. my jokes are like, "yeah, well if was that ugly, then, um..... never mind." i don't even try any more.

i think i had my first run-in with sand flies tonight; they are like tiny little mosquitoes, but they hurt when they bite.

oh yeah, today was my first day off. i spent most of it reading and sorting out my pictures. then i'm going to go get a haircut, and then go running. sound like fun? it is.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ben,
I want to thank you for being so willing to write and update the folks back home on life as you see it in Iraq. For many of us it is the first time we have had a family member or child of a friend, or whatever in war. Certainly this technology makes it much easier to follow your experiences so thanks Ben.

Kim is in Montreal with T and should arrive home this weekend. Annie and I have been able to amuse ourselves quite well although we miss her very much. It is our opportunity to eat all the weird things Kim cannot tolerate like sardines and oysters and such.

You are missing the family birthday picnic at the Pike Lake Auto Club this weekend in honor of Kim, Joyce and Nana's May birthdays. I'll give all the reles your best. You will be missed.

Annie will be done with school on June 9th and I am done until August after June 10th. We are hoping to do some camping with Becky and T as Becky has a groovy tent-camper on loan from one of her sibs.

I know you look back fondly on the summer of the Amerifreakincanna Tour with Mitch, MIchelle, Jenny and Jo and Grandma Lauraine.
Memories, misty watercolor memories of the way we were............
This time we hope to avoid the frequent flooded tents and angry mosquitoes. Wish us luck.

You said you are taking requests. I would like to see pictures of your Tent City and all the services provided to you all by George W and the boys. Put your own mug in there too, front and center.

That's all for now Ben. We love you and miss you. Coco is on his back, wagging his tail,anticipating the return of his favorite Bendi and the belly rub you always provide for him.

Stay safe.

Love,

Pam

5:04 PM, May 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ben,

I went looking for a little village the other day and found some rocks by this little lake. I picked up each rock one by one and looked underneath. The bugs left imprints in the sand. I tried to put the rocks back just as I found them, but nothing looked like it did when I first came to the ant hill. I had poked the ant hill with a stick when I first arrived. I watched it collapse (I had stuck the stick in the little hole that forms at the top). Later after I learned more about the ant hill and the rocks, I got really sad. I felt like I was in the way. I was glad that I had found the village though because it made me remember what I used to see when I was young. Enjoy your adventures with the scorpians and spiders.

Love,

Jenny

9:14 PM, June 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home